Our world today is more competitive than ever, and the only way to get ahead of the pack is to be more attentive and smarter than the rest. The information age we live in has made an astronomical amount of information available to every one of us which has allowed those who are better able to utilize their brain power to get more successful while those who are not as quick on the uptake are left trailing behind. But for those who want to give themselves an extra edge regarding brain power and becoming quick thinkers, there are now brain pills, generally known as nootropics, which are changing the way we achieve success in life.
Ok, while these brain pills contain some powerful brain-boosting ingredients, they can’t turn you from Average Joe to Newton-level genius in an instant like some products claim. In this article, we will be taking a look at how brain pills work, the most common ingredients, their safety, how they help and who they are designed for. So, if you are searching for a guide in understanding brain pills and what to look for when making your purchase, this is the article for you.
What Are Brain Pills?
Brain pills are often called smart pills, smart drugs, brain enhancers, mental enhancers, cognitive boosters and a few others, but these terms are all classified under the umbrella of ‘Nootropics.’ These pills, supplements or drugs are scientifically designed to boost brain function, improve concentration, promote better memory and make you smarter overall.
Corneliu E. Giurgea was the one who coined the term Nootropic in 1972. He was a Romanian chemist and psychologist who defined a few classifications for this new type of drug and also synthesized the first brain pill in 1964 called Piracetam.
According to Giurgea, brain boosters can only be classified as nootropics if they fulfill the following criteria:
- It must help improve learning ability and memory functions.
- It must resist conditions which may cause a decline in learned behaviors and memories.
- It must boost the brain’s tonic cortical/subcortical control mechanisms.
- It must help protect the brain from damage due to various chemical or physical injuries.
- It must have extremely low toxicity and cause no side effects.
How Do Brain Pills Work To Make You Smarter?
Brain pills are designed with ingredients (artificial or natural) that are known to help boost your neurotransmitter production in the brain. This increase in neurotransmitter health and quantity allows for an improvement in your mood, memory, attention, concentration, and focus.
Another way brain pills make you smarter is by improving the flow of oxygenated blood to the brain, allowing it more oxygen, nutrients, and glucose to enhance brain function. This increase in blood flow also helps improve concentration and attention span for most people, allowing for greater productivity.
However, you should be made aware that no brain pill can give you a permanent increase in IQ quickly. These smart pills are designed to make learning easier and more efficient; increasing your knowledge is up to you. You will experience growth in brain function while you are taking the pills, but the levels of your brain power will come back to normal levels if you stop using the nootropics.
What Are Some Common Ingredients In Brain Pills?
While brain pills like Racetam are made from chemically produced ingredients, modern experts suggest we use cognitive boosters made from natural ingredients to improve cognitive abilities and brain function.
Here are some of the most common nootropic ingredients you should look out for in your next brain pill:
- L-Phenylalanine: Is an essential amino acid that boosts norepinephrine and dopamine levels, improving your mood, continence, and
- Krill Oil: Is also known as Cod liver oil, contains omega-3 fatty acids DHA and EPA which helps repair and build brain cell membranes.
- Magnesium: Has shown to strengthen the hippocampus synapses to help improve your attention span, reaction timings, and other cognitive abilities.
- Vinpocetine: Helps prevent inflammation and improves blood flow in the brain, helping to improve focus, concentration, and
- Huperzine A: Inhibits Acetylcholinesterase production, helping to prevent Acetylcholine breakdown, leading to an overall boost in brain health.
- Ginkgo Biloba: Is a popular ingredient that boosts blood flow to the brain and protects the brain from free radical damage.
- Folic Acid: Helps delay physical brain degradation or atrophy and improves brain health for your brain longevity.
- Rhodiola Rosea: Reduces stress, anxiety, and depression while boosting memory and focus by promoting neurogenesis.
- Cholinergics: Increases Choline concentration, a precursor for acetylcholine which is a neurotransmitter for memory, focus and muscle control.
- Phosphatidylserine: Has shown to boost brain function and delay cognitive decline due to aging.
- Lion’s Mane Mushroom Extract: Improves Nerve Growth Factor (NGF) production, helping to delay the onset of cognitive decline in adults.
- Artichoke Extract: Helps boost cognitive abilities by increasing dopamine and suppressing PDE4 production which improves focus and concentration.
- Vitamin D: Combats cognitive decline by better clearing amyloid plaques which are a sign of the onset of Alzheimer’s disease.
- B Vitamins: Like Vitamins B6 and B12 are effective at boosting mental energy, protecting neurotransmitter health and improving information transfers.
- Bacopa Monnieri: Contains antioxidants that improve brain health, memory functions, anxiety and neuron communication.
Are Brain Pills Safe?
Well, according to Giurgea’s classification of nootropic drugs, if you get a supplement that says it is a cognitive booster, you should be safe from side effects. However, nowadays, this term Nootropics has been used very loosely, and some products don’t always adhere to the Giurgea Classification.
One way to check if the product you are considering to purchase is safe to take is by reading reviews online. Most products that are advertised have reviews mentioning whether they are side-effect free or precisely give you a list of what side effect you should expect.
There are some all-time favorites like Piracetam, Oxiracetam, and Racetam which have been cleared to cause zero side effects by the medical community. However, you may be aware that many of these pills are not available without a medical prescription.
If you are searching for a dietary supplement to give you the same benefits without requiring a prescription, you should take a look at natural brain pills like NooCube, Nootrogen, and Piracetol. The reviews for these products can also be found online.
Who Should Consider Getting Brain Pills?
Brain pills are great for anyone who wants to improve their productivity, whether they are students studying for an exam or an office worker trying to get a project done by a specific deadline. The improvement in concentration also helps students the most as the pills can help during long study sessions and demanding assignments.
However, you can also take these pills if you want to improve your memory and focus for your everyday benefit. The elderly can also use nootropics to help combat age-related cognitive decline or symptoms of brain problems like dementia. Brain pills are helpful to everyone as they can sharpen the mind and make life easier.
There are many nootropic supplements and brain pills available online and in stores. Always be sure to check the individual reviews before making your purchase and try to opt for natural supplements for the best cognitive benefits.