Wrinkles, although they signify wisdom and maturity, they are also a sign of aging. The skin cells divide more slowly with glowing age and the skin’s inner layer called the dermis begins to thin. That starts to undo skin’s stretchiness and structure. Aging skin also starts to lose its ability to hold on to moisture, makes less oil, and is slower to heal.
There are many factors that cause wrinkles with the primary being sun exposure, smoking, inadequate sleep or diet, poor hydration, and stress. Sun exposure is a major cause of wrinkles and fine lines especially if you are fair skinned as they are more apparent to sight. To some extent, genes also determine the skin texture and wrinkles can also be hereditary.
However, research indicates that our genes govern only 30% of how we age and the remaining 70% is determined by how we treat our skin.
Below Are Some Easy Tips To Delay Wrinkles:
- Limit exposure to sun – Too much of exposure to the sun can cause skin damage. Stay out of the sun during the peak hours i.e. 11:00am to 3:00pm. If you have to step out in the sun, wear a broad spectrum sunscreen and a broad-brimmed hat or carry an umbrella. It would be a good idea to cover your hands and feet with long sleeved sun jacket and long pants. According to the American Academy of Dermatology, wearing sunscreen regularly will also protect you from skin cancer.
- Smoking – Some habits are very harmful to your skin as they can interfere with the production of collagen which is the key component of skin’s structure. According to the Sibling studies done at the Twin Research Unit at St. Thomas Hospital in London, it was found that the brother or sister who smoked tend to have skin that was more wrinkled and up to 40% thinner dermis than the non-smoker. Heavy smokers are also prone to wrinkle 5 times more than the non-smokers.
- Get adequate sleep – Yale dermatologist Nicholas Perricone, MD, says that when you don’t get enough sleep, the body produces excess cortisol, a hormone that breaks down skin cells. Get enough rest, Perricone says, and you’ll produce more HGH (human growth hormone), which helps skin remain thick, more “elastic,” and less likely to wrinkle.
- Sleep on your back – Sleeping on your side increases wrinkles on cheeks and chin, while sleeping face-down gives you a furrowed brow. These “Sleep Lines” eventually turn into wrinkles. Therefore, it is important to sleep on your back as much as possible.
- Don’t squint – Wear sunglasses. Not only will wearing sunglasses protect the delicate skin around your eyes from the sun, but it’ll also help prevent squinting, which can cause wrinkling and Crow’s feet.
- Eat more food with antioxidants – Salmon is a rich source of Omega-3 essential fatty acid. It is one of the major building blocks of great skin and helps nourish skin keeping it plump and youthful. Also drink beverages that contain antioxidants like pomegranates, blueberries and green tea.
- Use moisturizer and splash your face with cold water – Regular use of a simple moisturizer will make the lines and creases far less noticeable. Also, choose a gentle facial cleanser that does not dry your face. Splashing your face with cold water in the morning stimulates microcirculation and regenerates dermal membrane. However, do not over-wash your face, as that would strip the skin of its natural moisture and oil.
- Stay Happy – Depression causes increased aging. Therefore be in a happy relationship and have an optimistic approach to life. This will definitely prevent wrinkles.
However, wrinkles are unavoidable. With the thinning of the dermal layer, reduced production of collagen wrinkles is inevitable.
What Do The Experts Say?
“Look as young as you feel, with the available information and technologies we have today, it is possible.” (Source: WebMD).
Besides some expensive surgical treatments, there are some topical treatments, which can reduce wrinkles.
Check out our picks for top skin care products for more tips and offers.
XYZ Smart Collagen Cream
XYZ Smart Collagen Cream is an anti-aging face cream that stimulates only high-quality collagen for longer lasting results. This anti-aging cream uses a smart collagen management system which helps achieve this by using the leaf sap from the Bulbine frutescens plant found in South Africa.
YouTonics Collagen Renewal
YouTonics is a well-researched product that is specifically trade marked as Tri-Optimized formula which combats wrinkles and premature signs of aging in an efficient manner. It also limits the production of the enzyme that leads to causing skin aging.
Bioxin Day And Night Combo
Bioxin Regenerative Day And Night Combo come with a separate day and night cream which are designed specifically for fast-acting skincare benefits. The day cream contains antioxidants which protect your skin from free radicals while the night cream contains hydrating peptides for your anti-aging needs.