Raw water is defined as the water collected or obtained from the environment that has not be purified, filtered or treated by modern water treatment systems. This type of water is also called natural water or live water and is the subject of the latest trend that has caught Silicon Valley by storm. You can get raw water from rain, creeks, wells, underground streams, above ground streams, caves, lakes, and rivers which are stated to be not suitable for human consumption.
The reason some of the progressive elites around the country are going for raw water is that the treated water that we drink is typically filtered of the many healthy minerals and ions. However, raw water also contains particles and living organisms which are typically removed to prevent diseases. The water that you get from your tap is treated in water treatment plants with desalination, filtration and chemical treatment to make it drinkable for humans.
Who Started The Raw Water Trend?
The Raw Water trend has been around since the 1950s where John Birch thought that there was a government conspiracy to use fluoride in tap water to control or poison the people. This idea has once again gained steam with the progressive elites of Silicon Valley investing heavily in raw water projects like Live Water and Zero Mass Water.
Today, there are many companies that package ‘live water’ for your convenience and sell at a premium. And the reason many are concerned and shocked is that people are lining up to pay $36.99 for a 2.5-gallon jug of Live Water, a company founded by Mukhande Singh.
Mukhande Singh who was born Christopher Sanborn, had started to sell the spring water from the Opal Springs in Oregon and is now at the forefront of this new wave of the questionable trend in Silicon Valley. Critics are quick to point out that Sanborn needed to change his name to an Indian ethnic name to better market his untreated water as ‘magical water.’ Water that is priced at $37 a jug which is said to taste better and provide more health benefits.
Sanborn, now Singh, also explains that real Live Water expires after a few months since it turns green (due to algae) and “it stays most fresh within one lunar cycle of delivery.” Regarding the short expire dates of his live water, he says that “People don’t even realize that because all their water’s dead, so they never see it turn green.”
And coming back to the conspiracy regarding fluoride, many people around the country think that the government is out to get them, like Vanessa Kuemmerle of Emeryville who was quoted by the New York Times saying “Fluoride? It’s a deathly toxic chemical.”
What Are The Claimed Benefits Of Raw Water?
The growth in popularity of Raw Water is due to the rise in distrust of the treated water supply that includes fluoride. For those who are unaware, fluoride is known as a mineral that is added to drinking water to prevent tooth decay and cavities. However, Raw Water promoters state that it can also cause cancer, kidney disease, and other health problems.
According to those who advocate Raw Water, the health benefits of drinking this unfiltered and untreated water gives you water, as it was intended to by nature. Its promoted to contain microbes, minerals, and probiotics that are claimed to help improve your health and wellbeing.
What Does The Medical Community Say About Raw Water?
According to the medical community, raw water is a trend that is going to get many people sick with diseases that could have been prevented if they drank regular treated water.
Here are some of the reasons why doctors recommend not to drink raw water:
- Raw water can contain many impurities and contaminants because of its contact with the environment.
- There are dissolved or suspended gases that can cause harm to the body in raw water.
- It can contain minerals like arsenic, and other microbes that can cause health risks and even death.
- Particles of slit and clay as well as salt and dissolved oxygen molecules are found in raw water that could cause you harm.
- There can also be Humic Acid that is caused when plants decompose in the water causing discoloration.
- Raw water can also contain magnesium carbonate and calcium which makes the water hard.
- It is known to contain harmful bacteria and virus microorganisms like E-Coli when untreated.
Which Diseases Could You Get If You Drink Raw Water?
It’s a known fact that humans have been trying to clean and treat their drinking water for thousands of years. This is because natural water contains many bacteria, parasites, diseases and illness that can be harmful and even deadly to humans.
In 1500 BCE Egypt, ancient Egyptians found a way to clean up the cloudy water for improved public health. There is also evidence of Greek and Sanskrit writing that have noted many treatment methods for drinking water like exposure to sunlight, charcoal filtration, straining and boiling.
As for the diseases you could get from drinking raw water, they include E Coli, Norovirus, Giardia, Hepatitis A, and Salmonella.
- E Coli: Is a group of bacteria that contains some strains that cause intestinal illness like STEC which can cause diarrhea, fever, abdominal pain, dehydration and even kidney failure in severe cases. Its transmitted through contaminated water and fecal matter (including animal poop).
- Norovirus: Has different strains and is usually non-fatal but is highly contagious and easily transmitted via vomit, fecal matter and contaminated food and water.
- Giardia: Is an intestinal infection that is caused by a giardia parasite found in waters, soil or food that is contaminated with feces of infected animals or humans.
- Hepatitis A: Is caused due to being infected by the Hepatitis A Virus which affects the liver and is highly contagious. It is spread through infected water and foods.
- Salmonella: Causes hundreds of deaths every year in the US if the intestinal infection seeps into the bloodstream. Symptoms of this illness include diarrhea, abdominal cramps, and fever which last a few days.
Related Article: Norovirus – Symptoms, Causes & Cure
What Are Our Thoughts On Drinking Raw Water?
We at beautytohealth.com have seen many health trends come and go, but this Raw Water trend seems to be one of the more harmful trends that are being seen. This is because most people who are uninformed about the risks of raw water get swept up by the expensive marketing schemes and end up buying something that could cause them serious harm.
So, based on the information available on raw water, its benefits, disadvantages and its risks, we believe that drinking raw water won’t bring you any additional benefits but instead could cause you to get sick.