Bitter gourd is a bitter vegetable that has many miraculous benefits including curing cancer and controlling diabetes. It’s also known by a few other names including bitter melon, bitter squash, and balsam pear. The vegetable part that we are supposed to eat comes from this Momordica charantia vine (the Cucurbitaceae family). It looks like a warty green oblong-shaped fruit and is said to contain essential minerals and vitamins that are known to be good for your health.
The bitter part of the plant has been used throughout the world by locals for its unique medicinal benefits and as a cooking vegetable. It’s most commonly found in tropical regions in Asia, Caribbean countries, some parts of Africa and South America.
Nowadays, it’s also being imported to the United States due to the effects on diabetes and cancer being better understood. This is especially true after the findings that proved bitter gourd to combat and cure breast cancer.
- 1 2010 Study States That Bitter Gourd Can Combat And Cure Cancer:
- 2 2013 Study Finds Substance That Helps Bitter Gourd Cure Cancer:
- 3 Which Types Of Cancer Can Bitter Gourd Combat And Cure?
- 4 Other Health Benefits Of `:
- 5 Warnings Regarding Bitter Gourd:
- 6 How Much Bitter Gourd Should You Take To Cure Cancer?
- 7 The Final Word Regarding Bitter Gourd As A Cure For Cancer:
2010 Study States That Bitter Gourd Can Combat And Cure Cancer:
Bitter melon has been recently found to help combat and cure breast cancer along with other benefits that should make this an essential part of your family’s diet. According to a 2010 study published in Cancer Research, the researchers found that bitter gourd can kill of the breast cancer. The lead scientist of the study from St. Louis University, Professor Ratna B. Ray, Ph.D., stated that “Our findings suggest that bitter melon extract modulates several signal transduction pathways, which induces breast cancer cell death.”
According to the study, the bitter gourd extract was found to inhibit the cancer cells’ growth as well as cause cell death (apoptosis) which is excellent news for those fighting cancer. This study was very promising with University of Colorado researcher Rajesh Agarwal, Ph.D. from the Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences stating that “This study may provide us with one more agent as an extract that could be used against breast cancer if additional studies hold true.”
2013 Study Finds Substance That Helps Bitter Gourd Cure Cancer:
While the 2010 study was groundbreaking for cancer research, much was still unknown. This resulted in a team of scientists from China Medical University, Taiwan in 2013 to study bitter gourd to find the glycoside substances that give bitter melon its anti-cancer benefits.
This study found bitter gourd to contain 3β, 7β-dihydroxy-25-methoxycucurbita-5, 23-diene-19-al (DMC) which was found to help the metabolism of glucose and the stabilization insulin levels, as well as cause cancer cell death. This DMC was found to activate peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor (PPAR) γ which causes apoptotic death of the malignant cells.
Which Types Of Cancer Can Bitter Gourd Combat And Cure?
Breast cancer is not the only type of cancer that bitter gourd has shown to be effective against. In 2015, scientists from the Skaggs School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences at the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus conducted a study on the bitter gourd and its effect on pancreatic cancer. The results were encouraging with the bitter melon juice helping to reduce the cellular communication in the pancreatic cancer cells.
The reason this is significant for the fight against cancer is that this finding has helped improve the survival rate of pancreatic cancer patients. The reason there was a low survival rate for pancreatic cancer was due to a majority of the forms of cancer have been found to be resistant towards standard chemotherapy. Bitter gourd was found to disrupt the intra-cancer cell signals which help the anti-cancer drugs to work more efficiently at eliminating the cancer cells.
Other Health Benefits Of `:
There are a few other benefits of ` which should be noted:
- Treats Diabetes: Can be used to lower blood glucose levels in people with diabetes.
- Combats Fungal Infections: Can fight against fungal infections due to antibacterial and antifungal prosperities.
- Improves Skin Health: ` contains anti-inflammatory properties which combat skin problems like psoriasis and ringworm.
- Treats HIV: Some studies have shown ` to slow HIV progression.
- Relieves Asthma: Has been found to be very effective at boosting respiratory health for relief against rhinitis, bronchitis, and
Warnings Regarding Bitter Gourd:
There are a few warnings regarding consuming bitter melon for some people:
- Avoid this if you require hypoglycemic medication for your diabetes as this vegetable can have additive effects.
- If bitter gourd tea is taken over an extended period, you can experience liver inflammation, liver damage or even liver failure.
- It should not be taken if you are pregnant since it can cause premature contractions, excessive vaginal bleeding, and
- Drinking bitter gourd tea frequently can cause muscle weakness, irregular heartbeats, urinary problems, headaches and fertility problems.
- Bitter gourd tea should not be given to children (unless asked by your doctor) as the tea can be toxic to them.
- It can cause side effects that include stomach ulcers, diarrhea, nausea, and
- It should be avoided if you use insulin as this vegetable affects blood glucose levels and insulin resistance of the body.
How Much Bitter Gourd Should You Take To Cure Cancer?
There has been no specific study that has measured precisely how much bitter gourd was used to help cure cancer. This is the same with diabetes, which is why the vegetable has not been recommended to replace the pharmaceutical drugs that are currently prescribed to control diabetes and fight cancer. There is also the fact that the amount of anti-cancer substance in bitter gourd will not be consistent every time you buy the vegetable and everybody’s body will process the vegetable differently, making it almost impossible to prescribe an accurate dosage.
The Final Word Regarding Bitter Gourd As A Cure For Cancer:
The many studies that have been conducted on bitter gourd have made it clear that this bitter tasting vegetable is good for our health and wellbeing. The range of benefits bitter melon can provide makes it helpful to almost everyone, regardless of age or gender. If you have diabetes or have difficulty controlling your eating habits, bitter gourd can help improve insulin resistance and promote metabolism for the faster fat burn.
All in all, bitter gourd is a vegetable that needs to be in everyone’s kitchen pantry and a part of their diet on a regular basis.Modified on