Yesterday, we discussed on what anxiety disorder means, its symptoms, causes and how it can be diagnosed. If the symptoms of anxiety disorder are responsible for interfering with your everyday activities, below mentioned are some lifestyle changes that are proven to be natural cures for anxiety.
1. Chamomile Tea – Three cups of chamomile tea on a daily basis helps you feel less anxious. Chamomile is a rich source of two chemicals namely apigenin and luteolin, that contributes to promoting relaxation. As per a recent study, it was found that patients who suffered from generalized anxiety disorder and who took chamomile supplements for a time span of eight weeks, had a decrease in their anxiety symptoms vis-à-vis patients who were on placebo.
2. Omega 3 – Ensure your body get 1 and 3 omega-3s on a daily basis. Omega-3 fatty acids help to ease the symptoms caused due to anxiety disorders and elevate your moods by lowering the stress chemicals such as adrenaline and cortisol. Fish foods such as tuna and salmon are excellent sources of Omega-3 fatty acids. Walnuts and flaxseeds are more examples to obtain this nutrient. As per an Israeli study, it was found that students who were provided with fish oil supplements managed to tackle the issues of anxiety. These were measured by their eating and sleeping habits.
4. Massage – As per studies, it has been proved that people who had regular massages by making use of lavender oil were highly upbeat and less anxious vis-à-vis people who had a lavender free massage. Research further adds that lavender massages can even help to lower systolic pressures. By adding a couple of drops of lavender essential oil on your pillow or in the bathtub helps you get a quick calming down effect. Dab a few drops on your skin as well, and this will help you too. The scent of vanilla prompts your moods and keeps it elevated. As per a study which was conducted by Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, patients who underwent the MRI procedure were made to breathe vanilla scented air and had 63% less anxiety compared to those who breathed unscented air.
5. L-lysine – Your diet should contain L-lysine which is an amino acid and helps to build blocks of your brain’s chemical messengers namely neurotransmitter. As per studies, it has been seen that people who consume L-lysine supplements have decreased anxiety symptoms and reduced stress levels. L-lysine is also most commonly obtained in meat, fish, and beans. You can also find this in oral supplements.
6. Sunlight – Get your body 15 minutes of natural sunlight every day. This is the best and natural source to enhance your vitamin D3 as it helps to reduce symptoms of anxiety disorders and depression. So there is no harm in giving yourself a 15-minute daily break and face the sunlight and reap benefits out of this. As per a recent Japanese study, it was found that people who walked through a forest for 20 minutes got their stress hormone levels lowered after the work. This was compared with people living in urban cities, and the difference was huge. If you are residing in an urban area, try to take walks in parks or quite tree lined streets. The sun affects on your body helps in all sorts of ways.
7. Exercise – Research has proved that a daily exercise routine of 21 minutes, contributes to reducing symptoms of anxiety in a significant manner. Exercise is majorly responsible for making you feel good about yourself and helps to boost your body with endorphins. Researchers further believe that it contributes to enhancing your body heat which is caused due to exercise. Exercise may also alter neural circuits that control your cognitive functioning and moods inclusive of those which affect your neurotransmitter serotonin. It is believed that this response can promote your moods which helps to enhance your mind relaxation and alleviated symptoms of anxiety disorder.
8. Diet – It has been proved that drinks containing caffeine, alcohol and added sugars are responsible for increased anxiety. If your body is deficient in magnesium, vitamin B12, and zinc, you might face symptoms of anxiety disorder Some studies link an unhappy gut directly to an unhappy mind. So refrain from consuming difficult foods which are tough to digest such as processed meats, foods which are high in saturated fats and fried foods.
Mikael is a health nutrition expert and loves mountain biking. Mikael started his health product research journey about 6 years ago and still loves doing it. Apart from spending time on his study, research & literature, he plays basketball regularly and is a fitness freak.