Nowadays, 4 out of 10 people have health problems related to sugar. High or low blood sugar problems are usually caused due to unhealthy lifestyles. In this article, we will cover signs and symptoms of high blood sugar which should be addressed as soon as possible.
- 1 High Blood Sugar
- 2 1. Excess Urination
- 3 2. Blurry Eyes
- 4 3. Major Weight Loss
- 5 4. Unhealthy Skin Health
- 6 5. Increased Hunger
- 7 6. Headaches
- 8 7. Fatigue
- 9 8. Concentration Issues
- 10 9. Unhealthy Healing
- 11 10. Unhealthy Sex Life
- 12 11. Bleeding Gums
- 13 12. Skin Patches
- 14 13. Always Thirsty
- 15 Other Signs Of High Blood Sugar
- 16 Side-Effects Of Hyperglycemia
- 17 How To Control High Blood Sugar
- 18 Foods To Maintain Good Sugar Levels
- 19 Conclusion
- 20 Reference
High Blood Sugar
Sugar or Glucose is said to be a power-supplier throughout the body cells. A human body produces natural sugar or glucose in the blood which allows them to provide energy to organs, resulting in healthy body functioning.
Some amount of blood sugar in our body is produced by muscles and the liver. Rest is produced from carbohydrates, food and drink intakes. Insulin  is a hormone which is produced by the pancreas that carries the glucose and provides the necessary energy to cells.
However, sometimes our cells are not able to absorb the glucose, raising the chances of High Blood Sugar or Hyperglycemia. It is found that High Blood Sugar can create dangerous health complications as it can damage body organs, nerves and blood vessels.
As per studies, an individual can lead to Ketoacidosis  or Diabetic Coma, if Hyperglycemia is left untreated.
Ever wondered what causes High Blood Sugar? You already know the answers but what are the signs that can help you to identify this health issue? Below are some of the symptoms that can help you know identify Hyperglycemia.
1. Excess Urination
An individual with high blood sugar might feel the need to urinate frequently. This happens because of the excess glucose that affects the kidneys. Excess sugar in blood creates more excretion of fluids that can damage the blood vessels in the kidneys.
2. Blurry Eyes
It is found that a higher amount of sugar in the blood can cause numerous problems and one of them is affecting your vision. Excess glucose in the blood can affect your retina, causing a serious health condition like Diabetic Retinopathy . This is the reason why people with high blood sugar levels can notice the change in their vision.
3. Major Weight Loss
It might look positive for some people but it can be extremely unhealthy if people lose weight due to High Blood Sugar. Instead of using glucose to stimulate new energy, High Blood Sugar can be responsible for major fat burn through urination. That is why, if someone loses weight unexpectedly, without any diet or exercise, then you must visit your doctor and check your sugar levels checked.
4. Unhealthy Skin Health
High Blood Sugar can affect your skin health too. Due to the decrease of water through fluid outputs, the body gets short of essential liquids required to maintain healthy skin. This is why people can experience skin dryness, itchiness and can notice skin cracks. Such skin problems can be a sign of Diabetes.
5. Increased Hunger
Doctors have proved that the increase in appetite and craving is due to lower insulin level in the body. Due to less insulin, the cells send hunger signals to various hormones such as Orexin, Leption, PYY 3-36 and Ghrelin as they are provided with less glucose, triggering the sensation to eat.
It has been reported in some diabetic patients that the common irritations occur because of Headaches. These headaches can help you recognize what kind of ache you are dealing with, for example Migraines . However, there has been multiple research and studies on new chronic headaches that can arrive because of Hyperglycemia.
When blood sugar is high, the human body can not store or utilize that sugar properly, this can block the cells to get required energy. This can affect an individual’s health due to lowering of physical energy on a cellular level. The excess urination during the night can result in lack of sleep, developing a feeling of tiredness and exhaustion.
8. Concentration Issues
With an increase in glucose, a patient might have difficulty in concentrating. This can be due to Acute Hyperglycemia. With increase in urination and less energy in cells, the brain cells start to function poorly. This can result in lesser concentration levels, thinking power, memory, and focus.
9. Unhealthy Healing
As you can see in some of the above mention problems, an individual with Hyperglycemia can slow down the natural process of healing. According to doctors, when there is a rise in blood sugar, the arteries get stiff which causes narrowing blood vessels and reduces the blood flow in the body. This is why wounds do not heal easily.
10. Unhealthy Sex Life
There have been cases where people have noticed the loss of sex drive, difficulty to have erections and orgasms due to High Blood Sugar. Men are reported to have impotence and erectile dysfunction due to damaged blood vessels and nerves, while women can experience vaginal dryness, reduced sensation, and painful sex.
11. Bleeding Gums
According to Dr. Halprin, the increase in blood sugar can not only affect your natural healing but also messes your gums, making them bleed, swell, tender and red. As we all know that our body fights with every bacteria and infection when it gets into contact, it combats infection-causing germs in our mouth too and when you have slow healing, then it’s the best place for infections.
12. Skin Patches
Dr. Fuhrman believes that the high amount of blood sugar can damage your blood vessels, including the one that is exactly under your skin. The damage of vessels can result in scaly and reddish-brown patches on the skin and it can mainly be found on lower legs. The patches can be itchy and painful.
13. Always Thirsty
Due to Hyperglycemia, the kidneys can not filter the glucose properly making your body dehydrated. While little thirst might be minor but dehydration can damage the body, giving an idea of a rise in blood sugar levels as the body develops a natural insulin blocker called Adrenaline .
Other Signs Of High Blood Sugar
- Unconsciousness Or Coma: Due to an increase in blood sugar, the brain cells does not get enough energy from glucose that can cause unconsciousness and even get an individual to Coma.
- Difficulty Breathing: As discussed earlier, an individual can cause weakness due to lesser cellular level and energy, leading problems such as difficulty in breathing.
- Increased Drowsiness And Confusion: Brain can get affected more due to Hyperglycemia that results in weakening brain cells and affects an individual with drowsiness and confusion as an outcome.
Side-Effects Of Hyperglycemia
- Pain In Your Extremities: Tingling fingers and numb toes can develop a condition called Peripheral Neuropathy that can be caused due to High Blood Sugar. According to American Academy of Neurology, the ends of the longest nerve fibers are the one to suffer first. This is why hands, feet, arms, and legs can get vulnerable. From shocking pain, burning to prickling, this can be the symptoms of nerve damage.
- Infected Feet: From tips to toes to heel, an individual can lose sensitivity due to High Blood Sugar. So if a person has any injuries such as a blister, tack in a foot or ingrown toenail, then it might be a bigger problem. As per Rinker, Sugar feeds a wound to guard against every bacteria and infection, so it is essential to have and maintain good blood sugar.
- Constipation: Blood Sugar can block and damage nerves, it affects digestion too, leading to severe cases of bouts, diarrhea, and constipation. An uncontrollable sugar in the blood can cause a condition where the food in the stomach begins to move slowly towards the small intestine and stops moving further, this is called Gastroparesis , causing pain, vomiting, bloating and nausea.
How To Control High Blood Sugar
If anyone having High Blood Sugar or Hyperglycemia, then you can try some of the below-mentioned things that can help in lowering and controlling your blood sugar.
- Regular Exercise: Exercise manages the blood sugar in more than one way, according to National Diabetes Association. Short term exercises can help cells in lowering blood sugar by taking up more glucose in muscles to use it for tissue repair and energy. Long-term exercise makes your cells prevent resistance by being more responsive to insulin.
- Take Rest: According to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, about 35 percent of Americans are reported to get less sleep at night that raises the chances of multiple health problems like Type 2 Diabetes . A lack of sleep can increase the risk of unnecessary hunger, allowing you to eat sugary food items and stress.
- Healthy Diet: The best way to keep a healthy body is to avoid excess consumption of sugar or carbohydrates. This can help in keeping blood sugar normal and maintain it. Consuming nutritious food can help in keeping bodily function healthy. Whole grains, potatoes, and fruits can help in slow sugar absorption into the bloodstream that can help manage appetite, digestion, and metabolism.
Foods To Maintain Good Sugar Levels
For anyone who is interested in maintaining a good blood sugar in their body, they can simply try consuming these items.
Best Protein Food For Managing Blood Sugar:
- Raw dairy products
- Free-range eggs
- Pasture-raised poultry
- Grass-fed lamb or beef
- Coconut oil
- Virgin oil
- Nuts, and seeds (flax, chia, hemp and almonds)
- Grass-fed butter
High-Fiber Food To Maintain Blood Sugar:
- Chia seeds
- Fresh veggies
- Sweet potatoes
- Green leafy vegetables
- Pumpkin seeds
Blood- Sugar Stabilizing Food:
- Fresh herbs and spices
- Apple cider
- Herbal tea
- Green tea
You can measure your blood glucose meter with the help of a device called Glucometer. A drop of blood from your forearm or finger is placed on a test strip and is inserted in the machine. The Glucometer then gives a digital result within a second.
Looking at signs and symptoms of Hyperglycemia or High Blood Sugar, it is essential that you keep yourself healthy and maintain a proper blood sugar level. An increase in blood sugar can be proved unhealthy and dangerous to your healthy blood functioning. A healthy body can do wonders, but an increase in essential ingredient like Glucose can degrade your body.
The best way to keep all your health problems at bay is to have a healthy lifestyle. A living manner or pattern that can help you live longer and healthier.
Michelle is the senior most expert who writes for this website. After completing her graduation and 10+ years of practice, Michelle has been involved and known for a lot of her philanthropy work. Michelle loves spending time researching and writing her papers. She occasionally writes for us and we are extremely proud to have her as one of our editors.